This policy was last updated on December 28, 2021.
Information We Collect from You
For all transactions we collect:
- Phone numbers
- Email addresses
When Renting a vehicle, including being added as an authorized additional driver, we may collect:
Driver Qualifications and Identify Verification, including:
- Driver’s license information, including date of birth and photographs you submit of you and your driver’s license.
- Insurance information
- Proof of residence
- Personal references
- Vehicle rental information
- Rental and return locations
- Dates of the rental
- Type of rental and your vehicle preference
- Ancillary products purchased
- Airline and flight number
- Photographs you submit of receipts through the camera feature available on some of our mobile applications and websites
- Billing information
- Credit Card information
- Information related to details of accidents involving our vehicles, including that of any third parties such as involved individuals, witnesses, and police reports
- Information about relevant health conditions you have that assist us in providing you with adaptive driving devices; or related to claims involving injuries
Optional Information, including:
- Emergency contact information
- Any preferences or special requirements you may have
When using our Websites and Mobile Applications
We collect Browser Information, including:
- Web logs
Device Information, including:
- Unique device identifiers
- IP address
- Operating system
- Precise geo-location information
With your consent, we will access location-based information, such as precise geo-location, zip code, postal code, city, metropolitan area or geographic region from your mobile device. We will use this information to provide you with notifications related to our locations, return information, local offers or other information that we think will be helpful in providing you with better services. We are only able to identify you using the location-based information if you allow our mobile applications to access your device’s location services. The location-based information is retained for seven years. This data is hosted by our analytics providers.
With your consent, our application will utilize your device’s camera.
If you have allowed us to utilize your location information or your device’s camera in the past, and wish to revoke the permissions, please change the settings on your device.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
When Participating in Surveys or Promotions
- Marketing preferences
- Feedback on services provided
Information We Collect from Third-Parties
Third parties provide us with additional information about you or your household, including:
- Referral sources, such as third-party online booking sites (who provide us general contact information and a booking confirmation number to facilitate the rental), your employer (general contact information), credit unions, and your insurance provider (general contact and policy information);
- Hotel, airline and membership clubs who provide us your general contact information and booking information;
- Third parties who, for fraud prevention purposes, provide us with identity-related verification and document authentication;
- Credit and financing partners, including credit reporting agencies, who facilitate the completion of credit applications when financing a vehicle purchase;
- Franchisees who provide us information regarding your rental transactions;
- Service providers, such as customer support (customer service-related information and enquiries made by you), security services (footage of you from our CCTV system), and customer survey providers (your response to our customer service surveys);
- Marketing providers who provide information to assist us to better communicate our products and services, including email acquisition services, data hygiene services, data brokers, and market research partners and platforms.
- Social media content you have made available to the public
Our vehicles may be equipped with technology that collects and transmits data from your rental vehicle. This may include information collected from event data recorders, global positioning devices, OnStar® systems, or any other similar technology. When installed and where permissible, this technology will enable us to collect and use information such as:
- precise location information;
- collision information; and
- vehicle operation information, such as operational condition, mileage, tire pressure and fuel status, and other diagnostic and performance information.
Our use of information collected from the rental vehicle may include sharing information with third parties as described in this policy.
If you pair your mobile device with the rental vehicle’s satellite navigation or infotainment systems, your personal information may be transferred to and stored on these systems. We cannot guarantee the privacy or confidentiality of such information and it is your responsibility to wipe your personal information from these systems before returning the vehicle. Otherwise, the next users of the vehicle will be able to access this information.
Vehicle Data will be shared with emergency service providers, others who assist in responding to an accident, telematics service operators or those with whom we have a legal or contractual obligation to provide such data.
Our websites and online marketing are not directed to, and Yellowstone Rent A Car does not knowingly collect personal information from, children under the age of 18 or your country’s age of minority. If you nevertheless believe that your child has provided us with their personal information and you need to let us know to delete it, please contact us using the link at the top of this page.
How We Use Information About You
We use the information we collect from you or about you to provide you with our services and for the following purposes:
Where it is necessary for the performance of a contract which governs the services we provide to you, including:
- To assist the transactions that you (or someone on your behalf) request, such as reserving, renting, purchasing, leasing motor vehicles, or providing accident management services;
- Unless where consent may be required by applicable law, to communicate important information regarding your reservation, rental, lease or purchase of a vehicle. These communications are transactional in nature and will be sent to you via email, text or calls.
- To provide customer service related to your interactions with us or to respond to your enquiry;
- To enroll you in our loyalty programs and send information relating to your ongoing membership of these programs.
Where necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation, including:
- To use and share information about your vehicle’s location with emergency services in the event that you are involved in a road accident;
- To use and share information with government and regulatory authorities when required by law or in response to legal process, obligation, or request, including checking appropriate sanction lists.
Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests, as listed below, and where our interests are not overridden by your data protection rights, including:
- To communicate important information about your rental and provide you great service. These communications, which are transactional in nature, will be sent to you via email, text or calls;
- To assist us in providing better products and services: for example, to evaluate the performance of our staff, to assess the quality of products and services received and to help us improve our websites, facilities and services. Unless where consent may be required by applicable law, your feedback may be requested via email, text or call.
- To compile statistics and analysis about our customers’ use of our websites, products and services. These statistics are used only to enable us to provide better customer service, products, features and functionality to you and other customers in the future;
- Where permissible, to develop a profile of you and your interactions with us so that we can provide tailored offers, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you;
- To protect our legal rights and manage the security of our networks and property, including to protect our websites from spam and abuse. For example, we will use CCTV to ensure the security of our premises;
- For loss prevention, we maintain a record of individuals whose past interactions with us indicate they may present a non-payment or safety risk;
- To receive, use and share your information with third parties to prevent fraud and protect our business interests and rights, privacy, safety and property, or that of individuals and the public. We will do this to respond to law enforcement request, collect unpaid bills, to avoid liability for penalties you incur (e.g. traffic citations) and for claims processing purposes;
- For fraud prevention purposes, to verify identity and authenticate identity-related documentation as well as additional points of contact for rental related communications through personal references.
- To use and share your information with third parties to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit damage that we may sustain and to enforce the terms of any rental agreement or our websites’ terms and conditions;
- To enable us to use vehicle data systems for purposes listed in the Vehicle Data section above;
- Unless where consent may be required by applicable law, to send you certain promotional or targeted marketing communications, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you. These will include invitations to join our loyalty programs, upgrade announcements, communications regarding an incomplete online membership form or reservation, and offers related to other services and products we offer. Some of these offers will be received in advertising on non-Yellowstone Rent A Car sites, including on social media;
- To de-identify or aggregate personal information collected about you and use it for any lawful purpose; and
- To transfer your data as described in the “Global Data Transfers and Processing” section.
Where you have given consent, as required by applicable law, including:
- To assist us in providing you with the most appropriate vehicles, such as those with adaptive driving devices. In some cases, this will require us to infer or explicitly collect information about your health or physical condition;
- To send one-time use security tokens via text
- Where applicable, to ask for you feedback by email, text or call, to assist us in providing better products and services: for example, to evaluate the performance of our staff, to assess the quality of products and services received and to help us improve our websites, facilities and services.
- Where applicable to ask if you want to receive by email or text promotional or targeted marketing communications, opportunities and services that may be of interest to you. These will include invitations to join our loyalty programs, upgrade announcements, offers and discounts, online communications regarding an incomplete online membership form or reservation and offers related to other services and products we offer. Some of these offers will be received in advertising on non-Yellowstone Rent A Car sites, including on social media;
- You can choose to withdraw your consent at any time; however, such withdrawal does not affect the lawfulness of processing before your withdrawal.
Retention of Your Personal Information
We retain your personal information for as long as we need to fulfill our business purposes, as set out below:
We keep the data associated to your rental agreement for up to seven years from the date of the rental, subject to other local legal requirements. We keep records of payments you have made for two years from the date of the transaction (depending on the location of the rental).
We keep the data associated to claims involving our renters or other individuals for the life of the claim and up to ten years from conclusion of our obligation, subject to other legal requirements
Customer service-related queries
We keep general queries for three years, unless you make a complaint, in which case, we keep complaint data for seven years.
Marketing and analytical purposes
We keep data linked to cookies and other online identifiers up to three years. We keep other marketing information, such as email subscription and loyalty enrollment data for up to seven years after your last interaction with us.
Disputes & law enforcement
If we are involved in litigation or a governmental or regulatory investigation, then we keep data throughout the period of litigation or investigation and for five years after that. If a settlement means that we must keep data for longer, then we keep data for the period required to administer the settlement. If we provide data to law enforcement agencies, then we keep a record of this for one year beyond the end of the investigation.
Who We Share Information With
Our Service Providers and Business Partners
We will share your:
Contact, driver qualification, transactional, claims information, car sales financial and personal information, and car sale transactional information
- Payment, administrative and technical support providers
- Our insurance replacement, corporate rental or other customers or partners to facilitate the vehicle repair, rental transaction, and rewards programs with Yellowstone Rent A Car Holdings group members
- Vehicle recovery agents
- Debt collection providers
- Credit Reporting Agencies
- Identity and address verification providers
- Claims processors
- Vehicle manufacturers and their vehicle repair providers and/or roadside assistance providers
- Fleet providers
- Other providers for vehicle repair and damage assessment purposes
- Claims processors
- Adaptive device providers
Contact and transactional information
- Toll and citation processors
Contact, Transactional, Loyalty and Affiliation Information:
- For insurance replacement, corporate rental or other customers or partners to facilitate the rental transaction and rewards programs with Yellowstone Rent A Car;
- Companies who conduct customer research or satisfaction surveys on our behalf;
- Communication providers which send email, text and other marketing and service-related communications to you on our behalf;
- Customer support providers, such as the provider of our live chat feature, in order to provide you customer service;
Web and Mobile Information
- Analytics and technology providers for location-based services and to analyze, enhance and manage our data in order to provide, maintain, and improve our services;
- Web and mobile application session replay partners allow us to replay user sessions to improve browsing experience and troubleshoot errors; and
Anonymized and De-identified information
- Our advertising and marketing partners and third-party media properties, including social media sites, with whom we share aggregated or de-identified information about our customers, to allow them to send targeted advertising messages on our behalf (subject to confidentiality agreements as appropriate).
Your personal information may also be shared with government authorities as outlined above.
We may post customer testimonials on our websites. We use a third-party provider to manage this process. This provider is responsible for obtaining your consent as necessary, removing content upon your request and answering any questions you may have.
Social Media Widgets
Selling your Information
Yellowstone Rent A Car does not sell your personal information to third-parties.
While we do not sell your data, as is common with companies with an online presence, some of our advertising uses information collected by businesses from our digital properties, including IP addresses, digital identifiers, information about your web browsing, and how you interact with our properties and ads, in order to provide you with relevant ads across the Internet and for other analytics purposes. These companies may sell that information to other businesses for advertising and other purposes.
You will be able to opt out of direct marketing communications from Yellowstone Rent A Car and our subsidiaries, and affiliates by following the instructions in each communication you receive. You may also contact us directly using the link at the top of this page.
Changes To These Policies
For questions or inquiries related to privacy and data protection, please visit our Contact Us